Thursday, June 24, 2010

We have a winner!

Finally, a guess... and a correct one! I went to the TART Office and spent some quality time in their building. Are you familiar with the TART organization and what they do? I am sure you are at least familiar with the trails themselves as they are such a vibrant part of our community. Every day hundreds of people use the trails that cross thru Traverse City and bring people in from Acme and Suttons Bay. Not only does TART raise funds to build these trails, they advocate for healthy lifestyles, outdoor recreation and alternative transportation. Each year they hold great events such at the Tour de Tart -a ride from Traverse City to Suttons Bay, Smart Commute week - a week of finding a way to commute other than using your vehicle, and Tails to Trails - a 5k dog and owner walk. Each event promotes their
mission and raises awareness for the TART organization.

The day I visited I helped assemble a large mailing for their summer campaign. A great group of volunteers and myself stuffed, sealed and labeled over 5,000 pieces of mail. It was a big job, but it was a necessary job.


Since TART is a non-profit, they rely on donations from individuals heavily. They also rely upon the time and effort of their volunteers. Volunteers assist with office duties, such as the mailing I helped with, they help plan and implement the events mentioned previously, they help direct TART by serving on their board of directors, they help clean and maintain the trails. Along with many more things. TART is always in need of volunteers and many of their opportunities are family friendly.

My volunteer experience at TART was almost too good. They had a fabulous lunch, delicous deserts and yummy soda. To top it off they had a massage therapist come in and give chair massages to the volunteers. Seriously. I absolutely took part in the massage.



If you are interested in helping TART through volunteering please visit their website at www.traversetrails.org or call them at 941-4300. They would love to have you, and I am sure that you will love volunteering for them.

I'm eager to share my next destination with you - and in similar fashion I will have an awesome freebie for whomever guesses correctly! Stay tuned for the next piece, I will be posting it next week.

No comments: