Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Volunteer's View


Hi Everyone..........Arlene Koons here. I want to talk to you about volunteering. About a year ago, I "discovered" RSVP, a volunteer organization connected with United Way that helps to furnish volunteer help to various organizations in the 5 county area. I have done many fun things like working on the Parade of Homes, the Habitat Garden show, gift wrapping at the Mall at Christmas time for Habitat, helping with many mailings for various clients, working on the Give Kids a Smile project, which meant helping some of our local dentists give free dental checkups for school children around the area, etc., etc. I knew I could say no if the assignment was not to my liking, but it seems that everything I was asked to do turned out to be so much fun and so satisfying. I have met many wonderful people who are also giving of their time and talents. I have been asked how I can find the time to do this, but what I might say to those people who ask is, "just try it" and since time can always be changed around, they might be pleasantly surprised as to how much pleasure is derived from helping others. I am fully convinced that what I give comes back to me in the form of people helping me out with their helping hands. It is a wonderful feeling!!!!

I don't always have money to give, but I certainly have my time to give and I do that freely because that is my way of LIVING UNITED and giving back to my community.

No comments: