Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How Mark Lives United


My first involvement with United Way was in 1981. My first real job out of college allowed for me to give by payroll deduction. It didn't seem like very much money and it was my first involvement with charitable giving. It made me feel like I was giving back and it still does.

When my children (twins) were born they were premature and in the hospital for 3 months. While making our multi-daily visits to the the neo-natal clinic, my wife and I became friends with other families visiting their new born babies under special care. Some were from out of town but were able to stay because of agency assistance. Many of those agencies were supported by United Way donations. At that time it really struck me what a difference United Way was making for those specific people. That made it real to me for the first time. I was not able to contribute by payroll deduction with my employer at that time and I felt a hole inside because I wasn't. Whether it wasn't convenient or I didn't get a solicitation in the mail, or whatever excuse I used at the time, it wasn't good enough at that moment and I promised myself that I would change that. That was 13 years ago and I have been involved since.

I was very proud when our current United Way President, Mike Hill asked me to join the Board of the United Way. I realize now that the work that the United Way does enables agencies that are at "Ground Zero" for many people that are in the fight of their life to survive. Whether it is agencies that provide food, clothing, and shelter or whether it is helping people cope that are at the end of their rope, I can help. And by telling the United Way story I can help others feel the same way. It takes a lot of courage to work at an agency that helps people deal with the hardships that they are enduring. Maybe there are others that are like me and want to help but find it difficult to be in the trenches.

United Way is how I participate and Live United.

Sincerely,
Mark Eckhoff
President, Fifth Third Bank

No comments: